Former Plymouth Argyle midfielder Jason Puncheon denies assaulting nightclub bouncer with belt

Former Plymouth Argyle player Jason Puncheon is to stand trial later this year after denying assaulting a nightclub doorman with his belt. Puncheon, 31, has been charged with a Section 4 public order offence causing fear or provocation of violence, possession of an offensive weapon and common assault. He had been partying with friends at nearby nightclub Mishiko in Surrey beforehand.

Puncheon appeared at Guilford Magistrates' Court on Friday, January 5 walking with the aid of crutches, having been injured in a match against Manchester City.

Puncheon, 31, has been charged with a Section 4 public order offence causing fear or provocation of violence, possession of an offensive weapon and common assault

He entered not guilty pleas to a section four public order offence, causing fear or provocation of violence, and a second charge of common assault. A third charge of possession of an offensive weapon was withdrawn by the prosecution. Darren Matravers, prosecuting, told the court: "The defendant is caught on CCTV removing the belt from his trousers then approaching a group of people and swinging that belt.

"At that stage it doesn't appear the belt connects with anybody. "By committing that act he effectively is causing the fear of immediate violence and hence the section four public order charge against him. "He walks away, then returns to the group still with the belt in his hand and again he swings the belt and the second time the belt buckle is at the free end and that connects with the back of the victim's head who has been identified as Paul Mendy, a member of the security staff at the location.

Former Plymouth Argyle midfielder Jason Puncheon denies assaulting nightclub bouncer with beltJason Puncheon, 31, leaves Guildford Magistrates Court on January 5

"Fortunately he wasn't injured after receiving the blow to the head."

Mr Matravers said police officers attended and reported that Puncheon continued to use "aggressive behaviour". Gary Bloxsome, defending, said the CCTV footage described by the prosecutor was a "snapshot" and did not show the events leading up to the incident. He said it did not show "the defendant being picked upon, this defendant having difficulties within the club, then having additional difficulties.

The trial will be heard at Staines Magistrates' Court on June 4.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *